Friday, August 22, 2014

American Societies Pressure: High School to College


Hey internet kids,

As we approach that ever so dreaded back to school time there has been a topic that has been plaguing my mind recently. If there is one thing that I really have an issue with in the society of America, its the expectation that as soon as you graduate high school you go to college. I graduated high school in 2010 in small town New York (no not NYC) and I thought I knew what I wanted to do. Now school was not an easy thing for me, I have a hard time learning in a school setting. I had taken a web design class my high school offered and I loved it. So I thought I'd go to school as a web design major, looking back on it now I have no idea why i did that. I went to a community college and was way in over my head. I struggled to keep up with classes, I fell behind and failed out. I know what you are thinking oh this girls a college fail out, and yeah it does suck as much as it sounds like it does. the simple truth was I wasn't ready for college and I really wish I waited a few years before attending. I knew nothing about the world and how it worked. I had honestly no idea what I wanted to do. So I waited a year and tried again as a human services major as I was working in a group home for adults with disabilities and I enjoyed it. I have always enjoyed helping others so I thought that was what I wanted to do. I should have seen what was coming from a mile away.... I was commuting to the community college and all of my friends had graduated. I was alone and too shy to seek out other friends. I fell behind yet again, I become depressed and stopped going to classes. I really wish I had waited before going to school again. The expectation is that you have to have a degree to get anywhere and  honestly I hate that so much but that topic is for another time. In Europe after you get out of school you are encouraged to travel the world and find yourself and then go to university. Why is that not encouraged here? Why is it that a 17/18 year olds are expected to know exactly what they want to do and then spend a fortune on schooling. I think its kind of ridiculous to be honest, I spent about $7,000 trying to figure out what I didn't want to do. Fast forward to August of 2014, I've been working at a Preschool that offers special services. I have worked there since February of 2014, and I've decided that I want to be a teacher. But, after all of the college nightmares I've dealt with so far can I get a 4 year degree and a masters... I cringe just thinking about the time and money involved. I wish I had known this 5 years ago, maybe I could have done that but now I think I'll aim for a bachelors in Early Childhood Education. I'm taking online classes this fall yeah maybe third times a charm. I wish I had someone to tell me not to go to college right away and get out of the small town and see the world.. I'm telling you, don't follow social norm. Go explore the world first, then you can settle for expectations.

Until next time live well and smile often.. peace

Current Listenings:

Boys Chase Girls - Ingrid Michaelson

Happy Little Pill - Troye Sivan



No comments:

Post a Comment